Friday, October 3, 2008

RAISING KIDS


Seriously, what would I know about that huh? I'm a monk. But I was a kid once and I see my friends assuming such roles lately. It must be quite an interesting world, and when a gentleman approached me today with what I'd call one of my top 10 conversations, one of the topics was raising Kids.

What will it be like in twenty years for them, I wonder in my 30 years I've seen the world go down quite swiftly. I find it hard to even live certain principles I was taught as a kid. Open the door for elders, Ladies sit first (after you draw their seats out for them), When grown ups, people at least ten years older than you, are in a conversation, leave the room (out of respect).

Amongst others. Hard to see lately and its interesting to see what will turn out; what will become of us. But there's hope that the lessons we learn now Will guide us to guide our offsprings later.

Without going on much further, as I have my own opinions on the matter, I did remember a song my mom used to sing to me about being a parent. Two sons, actually- "If I Could", and "No Charge". No Charge usually came up when I was the demanding little boy who wanted the world just because i made up my bed or something funny like that, and If I Could was the voice of a concerned, yet confident mother who, like any other mother, hopes for only the best for her child.

As I walked back to the monastery that song came to mind and I can only wish my friends and theirs best of luck in parenthood. The future will be what you teach your children now. As in the words of the boy-saint Prahlada, Spiritual lessons should be learned as earliest as possible- from the tender age of childhood. Or as the book of Proverbs say, train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.



If I could, I'd protect you
From the sadness in your eyes
Give you courage in
A world of compromise
Yes, I would
If I could, I would teach you
All the things I've never learned
And I'd help you cross
The bridges that I've burned
Yes, I would


If I could, I would try to
Shield your innocence from time
But the part of life
I gave you isn't mine
I'll watch you grow
So I can let you go


If I could, I would help you
Make it through the hungry years
But I know that I can
Never cry your tears, babe
But I would, if I could

If I could, in a time and place
Where you don't wanna be
You don't have to walk
Along this road with me
My yesterday won't
Have to be your way


If I knew, I'd try to change
The world I brought you to
Now there isn't
Much more that I can do
But I would If I could
If I could

No comments: