Tuesday, June 23, 2009

BACK TO THE START



I took a walk with a friend yesterday through Point Pleasant Park and while talking to him, I had an interesting realisation about the Spiritual path. He is a very intelligent young man and has been searching for spiritual guidance for some time now, so his questions are quite deep and well thought out. Krsna consciousness gets exciting for me when people genuinely want to understand the subject matter. As I answered each question step by step, more and more questions came up and so the conversation got a little lively. But then I noticed that some of the same questions re-emerged so I suggested to him that in order to grasp the conversation more deeply, he should explain to me what we had just discussed.
For a new person learning our philosophy and associating with monks on a daily basis, this culture can be overloading and due to our instant gratification nature, this is just the place to be- each question answered without a long wait.
However, our teacher His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami has informed us that Krsna consciousness is not an artificial imposition on the mind- cram it in there and get a grade point, heaven or hell. Krsna consciousness is practical action in the foreground of spiritual life. This knowledge has to be digested just as one meal has to be digested before another meal is taken.


Back to my realisation.


When I first came in contact with this philosophy, My goal was to read as much as possible and catch up with those monks I lived with, especially those who were my age, or who were junior to me. I thought if i just read these books immediately, I would fit in and not be seen as a newbie.
It worked to some extend as far as theoretically, but over the years I have learned to go back and read slowly, in small segments, in order to grasp the subject matter- Krsna, the supreme person, my eternal friend. Quality learning is what Krsna conscious training offers and anyone in the world, regardless of cast or creed should take advantage of Srila Prabhupada's books and there find deep treasures, especially that nectar for which we're always anxious. (HOLLYWOOD)

Oh wait....


No comments: