Friday, February 19, 2010

KENYA EAGER EYES





Our six hour flight from Mumbai was quite an easy one and Jet lag was practically nonexistent. After 16 years I was back in Africa, this time with a mission and a vision. Although I had never been to Kenya certain scenes are similar- the marketplace, the colorful dress etc etc. Nairobi is a full blown city and our temple is smack in the middle of it with various programs for teaching Krsna consciousness. Many locals came to our Saturday programs and the gathering stayed alive with amazing questions from the students. Getting my visa to South Africa occupied a lot of my time and so I didn't get to explore as I wanted to. I especially hoped to visit Masai communities. They are known as the most intelligent tribe of people in Africa. Next time maybe. Four days later we flew to Kisumu to visit our other temple there- So beautiful and cozy with garden, fountains and much more. We took a drive to our property on Lake Victoria, green fertile land, beautiful Lake Victoria to the west, Papyrus reeds everywhere and as we learned, Hippos graze there every night! If you see a hip hip hippo pot a mus!
As we drove by I lifted my head just in time to see a cherished site- a Masai! He was dressed in Saffron cloth wrapped around his waist, a blue and purple shawl, and he carried a stick wrapped in yellow cloth. So regal! I've wanted to see these people since I was a weee weeeeee one, and there, going to Lake Victoria was a Masai. Next morning we drove to Kampala Uganda, passing some baboons on the way, The Nile river and other natural sights.

I'll be writing more soon :) No fun just giving all away here, plus I'm jet lagged having just landed in Johannesburg!