Sunday, November 21, 2010

GETTING AN INVITE

The world becomes a bit more interesting each day as we realize that people exist on so many levels and dimensions. Life facilitates as many types and kinds of consciousnesses as there are elements- and then some.
Some like water, go with the flow, others dance around as the wind blows. But the most interesting thing I find lately is that everyone has a place. Or as one monk told me a few years ago, water rises to its own level.

So then how does one know his level? From religious points of view, the principle of humility advices to keep your head low until a helping hand reaches out to you. Some say you'll naturally flow to your circle. Others say its written in the stars.
As a monk I try to find my place in a special circle (doesn't monastic life come with its own circle?), but  even around here, circles create. I find that I don't fit anywhere, but flow everywhere, hoping to take the essence of our culture from great ones, and give it as well to others.
But as I go on, I also find that its not easy to just walk into other people's world; they have to let you in. I had the fortune of being let into a very high circle of monks earlier  this year, and as I reflect on the quality of  association, the culture and the type of discussion, I realize that its a long way to go, but the fruit is very sweet.
My experience was like a person walking through a mall food court and getting samples of various foodstuff sold there. Well, I really liked this dish, but am very poor to afford it.
As I listened to a lecture today by a monk who passed away some years ago, he mentioned something that re-awakened my question, and also gave me an answer that is the key for being allowed again and again into any circle. He said,  "we cannot enter into higher circles unless we are invited in by members of that circle,after they have observed and seen that we can add to or enhance the quality of that circle." And then came an amazing answer too: " and the way to remain in their favor is to have an attitude of gratitude."


There are people with deep spiritual culture who want to pass it on as they prepare to move to the next realm, and all we really need to receive their gifts is a little attitude adjustment...


No one goes back to the Spiritual Sky without being invited back by one of the residents there. 
I can say, with some conviction, that the legacy Krsna talks about in Bhagavad-gita when he tells Arjuna that " this knowledge was received through a chain of disciplic succession...", is one of simply having the attitude that I am supposed to preserve this legacy for the next person, absorb it within myself, perfect my life, and pass it on to another person unspoiled. 
Or as Srila Prabhupada writes, " the intelligent disciple take what the Spiritual Master gives him as sufficient for his  spiritual life..."


Such a culture of just taking the essence, I find, in a world where we practically detest being simple, is the hardest pill to swallow.


that's that for now :)