Wednesday, April 29, 2009

WILLING TO FORGIVE. . . ?

Religion often turns people away because of this humongous guilt trip sitting in the back seat somewhere, backseat driving one to deep alleys of all the bad bad things done in the past, and all the bad bad punishment awaiting in the future. Krishna Consciousness take a more radical approach that sends debates and arguments pouring out like shaken up 7 UP.
In the Bhagavad Gita, 9th Chapter, 30th Verse, amongst a few others, Krishna declares:
Even if one commits the most abominable action, if he is engaged in devotional service he is to be considered saintly because he is properly situated in his determination.
This verse seemingly gives a go-head to any devotee to commit as many abominable actions as possible as long as he stays in devotional service. Kind of a turn off too. Just because I'm a Krishna devotee I can do what I want? Hmm... Elsewhere we find that people who commit abominable actions on the strength of chanting, or raising the "but I'm a devotee" flag, are committing a bigger blunder- one against God Himself!
As I grow up daily, with decisions to make, not just for myself, but now for three new monks travelling with me, I begin to understand a little better and with a little more humility, the nature of the supreme being.
These new devotees, as enthusiastic as they may be, can also be deep cutting with uncultured words and actions and sometimes, more often than not, I'd no sooner opt for a log upside the head than a ready-to-forgive attitude. But as I reflect on what actions to take, the above mentioned verse comes close to home; I was once new too, and also very uncultured. Learning how to act in human society is one of the most amazing challenges I've ever faced and I'm also beginning to broaden that as a matter of fact for most people.
As monks, we live in very close proximity of each other, and often, being individuals, we may not always get along. The Spiritual world, far form Utopian is a realm of individuals with opinions, likes and dislikes, etc etc. This philosophy of spiritual individuality makes the spiritual realm a more amazing place each day.
When in my ready-to-tear-you-apart pre-rage, Bhagavad Gita 9:30 points me out with the greatest question: are you also without sin? Were you not in that same shoe before?
At such times, when called out by God himself, I can only then show that I'm still in the showers heading towards a cleaner me. Forgiving, especially from one in a so called position of authority can lighten the burden we're all struggling to carry- misidentifying with the body. The more we practice excusing, even the most abominable actions of others, the closer we come to Krishna. And often too, subordinates may expect to be led by Superman and Robin Hood. When a younger person forgives an elder, the law of Karma lightens up on us erasing that point in the future when student today may on the morrow have to be teacher.

We know not what the future holds, of marvel or surprise, assured alone that life or death, His mercy underlies.
Just a little thought on healing, there's plenty more.

2 comments:

Bhakti lata said...

I thought that line so, so thought-provoking, "when a student forgives an elder..." I find it so difficult to forgive someone who's supposed to 'be in charge'. But like you said, it eases the load of karma for everyone. beautifully said.

Jackson Davis said...

Been meaning to say this, but I'm glad you're back in the blogging world. Never hurts to have a bit of thought food to munch on.